New to blogging?
Here are some tips to help you write some awesome posts:
- Be yourself. Don’t try and blog like someone else. Be yourself.
- Write a story. This isn’t for an introduction, tell us something you might share with a friend!
- Make your writing conversational. Write it like you’d say it.
- Clearly state your point. Decide before you start writing, what you are writing about, and then stick with it.
- Avoid being too general. Pick one thing to talk about.
- Use personal experience. My favorite posts are always written from firsthand knowledge.
- Be honest. Don’t make things up. Get inspired from your real life!
- Try doing a “How to”. This is an easy place to start. What do you do that works? Talk about that. Recipes, sensory diet, or bed time routine – if it works, blog about it.
- Grammar and spelling count. Use spell check.
- Use lots of paragraphs. Nothing turns a reader off faster than a LONG paragraph. Short paragraphs – even just one sentence – are easier to read and keep your reader engaged throughout the post.
- Categorize and tag your post. This is how people find it. But limit yourself to 3 categories (or less) and no more than 5 tags.
- Consider adding a photo. Readers love photos! And it doesn’t have to be your kids – there are plenty of free images and illustrations here.
- Read the full FAQ. There is so much information there, it is worth the three minutes!
- If you are out of ideas, check out our Newsletter (sign up to the right) for writing prompts each month!
Have some other great tips? Leave them in the comments or email the editor and get them included here!